Thursday, February 03, 2011

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

Happy New Year everyone!  I've been excited for tonight all week.  I don't get the day off (boo), but my mom has been planning to make us a big dinner.  Hopefully by the time she starts cooking my phones will be slow so that I can mirror her and learn how to make some good Chinese food.  I can't remember exactly what she is making, but I know she is planning on doing an eight-course meal for prosperity.  According to Good Luck Life by Rosemary Gong it is traditional to have an eight-course meal as the New Year's dinner for growth.  The courses should be as follows: soup, vegetarian dish, poultry, leafy greens, whole fish, long grain rice or noodles.  I'm guessing that there is double of a couple of these categories since this doesn't add up to eight. Hahaha.  The book doesn't explain that part.  From what I remember, my mom said that she is going to make:

Fuzzy melon soup (she said the winter melon didn't look good)
Napa cabbage
Chicken drummets and wings with shitake mushrooms (one of my favorites)
Filet of fish with vegetables
Thy foon
Clams with hot peppers
Shrimp in black bean sauce
Sliced Asian pears for dessert.

I was making my lunch today and saw the Asian pears that she bought sitting in the fruit bowl and was like, it looks like a butt!  I had to take a picture of it.  This is what happens when you work in an office of all guys for a year and a half.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: