Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Southwestern Rub Chicken Fajitas

Usually when my family is working around the house or at one of our rental properties, I like to make dinner for them.  It's my way of contributing since they come home beat.  On Sunday I made a grilled chicken fajita dinner.  The spice rub is a concoction that I got out of my Good Housekeeping Cookbook and had put in a jar for easy access during grill seasoning, but you can use any grill seasoning you'd like.  I quickly defrosted some chicken breast and sliced them to make the grilling go faster.  I didn't want to be stuck out in the dark.  The chicken turned out a little dry, but I didn't want it to be undercooked.  I kept doing the poke test to see if it was still soft.  It felt done, but then when I took my tongs to squeeze a piece, it would be squishy.  I was afraid the squishiness meant that it was still raw.  Nick is usually the one to man the grill so I don't really know what to look for.  I always figure that over cooked is better than undercooked and getting everyone sick. It tasted okay though since it was going into fajitas anyway.

Photobucket

We also had a lot of veggies in our fridge so I thought I'd take a chance on grilling some.  Now that I think of it, I didn't put any seasoning or oil on any of them.  I still thought they were tasty, but I think next time I will season them first.  The onions came out pretty charred, but they were an experiment.  I figured that the term "grilled onions" had to come from somewhere.  Not sure if I'll do onions like that again.  I lost quite a few through the slats.  I'll stick to sautéing them in a pan.  

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I put out leftover grilled portobellos and grill bell peppers.

Photobucket
The asparagus was really tasty but hard to eat in the fajita

No comments: