Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tonight's Dinner: March 10, 2013

I spent the day in Livermore at a bridal shower for a college friend, but had invited my family over to watch the new show Are You Tougher Than A Boy Scout?  On the way home, I stopped at Sprouts to pick up supplies for our typical Hawaiian BBQ home made dinner. I developed this about a year ago when we were eating Hawaiian BBQ pretty frequently. After a while it gets pretty darn expensive. I figured that I could replicate Chicken Katsu at a fraction of the cost. I was right. I was able to make dinner for my family as well as Mr. and Mrs. Fong (we invited them over last minute) for $31.00 and had a ton of left overs. We even had a blueberry pie!  Normally, I buy chicken tenders for this dish, but to help cut costs, I purchased gigantic chicken breasts and cut them down to the size that I wanted. For most breasts I sliced them in half butterfly style, but for some really large ones I sliced them in thirds. These breasts were mondo! Although shopping at Sprouts makes me feel better about the quality of food that I buy, no natural bird could be that big without hormones. The breasts looked like small turkey breasts.  I don't mind this much because it makes me think that I get more bird for my money.  I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it does make me feel better.  I was pleased that both the Fongs and my family enjoyed the dinner. 

   photo FFE834B3-1826-45E2-ABA9-E84FA61416E5-8523-000005582349CA02_zps87eedca9.jpg

I could have sworn that I posted my chicken katsu recipe before, but I can't seem to find it.

Allison's Chicken Katsu 
1 lb chicken tenders
1 c flour
1 tsp salt
3 eggs, beaten
2 c panko bread crumbs
1/2 c garlic flakes
1 1/2 c vegetable oil 
Directions:
Use three flat dishes.  In the first dish mix the flour and salt.  In the second dish, beat three eggs with a splash of water.  In third dish, combine bread crumbs and garlic flakes.  Coat chicken tenders in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.  Once all pieces are breaded, heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.  Once oil is rippling, gently place chicken pieces in oil.  Cook on each side for 3 minutes.  Place on cooling rack in a warmed oven.  Chicken should be lightly browned as they will continue to brown once out of the oil.    



No comments: