Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: Feburary 17, 2014



Tonight for dinner I wanted to cook for my parents since we frequently cook for my in-laws.  After telling my mom about the shrimp scampi that we made, she looked mighty interested so I made a variation of the dish for them.  I wasn’t sure if they liked kale, but I bought a bag of organic baby kale to test it out.  It is supposed to be super good for you and I wanted to introduce it into my parent’s diet.  Luckily, they really enjoyed it.   For this meal you can use any shrimp scampi recipe, but I used this one that my mother-in-law found online.  We piled on the kale sauce over fresh organic spinach ravioli. 

 


Tomato-kale sauce
10 small tomatoes on the vine, cut to eighths
1 bag organic baby spinach
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c dry white wine
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp parsley
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbps butter

Directions:
In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté garlic in olive oil.  Add tomatoes and cook down for two minutes or until they release their liquid. Add kale in large bunches, stirring until wilted.  Once the whole bag is incorporated, add wine, salt, parsley, olive oil, and butter.  Let simmer for 20 minutes before serving.
Notes: 
1.       The tomatoes should release enough liquid to steam the kale. If not, add some wine.
2.       You can substitute low-sodium chicken stock for the wine.  Cut back on salt if you do use stock.
3.       You can leave out the extra olive oil and butter if you would like, but it adds a fuller flavor and richness.
4.       We served this over organic spinach ravioli from Costco.

No comments: