Friday, September 19, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: September 16, 2014



Tonight we had our second training session with Ally from Tailored Dog Training.  I am really kicking myself for not getting Emmy formal training sooner.  All the manners (good and bad) I taught her myself from Youtube and training books.  Ally has made such a huge difference already.  She basically  teaches us what to do and will leave us alone for a few weeks to implement the training.  Today we were working on reaffirming Emmy’s Stay command and not barking at the doorbell and running to the door.  Ally says that I sing the “Stay Song”, which is when I say over and over, stay, stay, stay until I finish what I’m doing.  We worked on just “Stay”.  I have to also break the habit of not saying it a bunch of times.  She picked that up quickly and now only moves when we say “release”.  As for the doorbell and knocking, I think it will take a little while to get that real life experience in with her, but we’re working on pretending to answer the door and talk to someone.  I sound like I’m off my rocker.

Me: Hi! How are you?
Deep voice me: I’m doing well.
Me: That’s good to hear.
Nick (inside the house): You sound crazy.


So, it’s a long process, but we’ll get there.  She’s already much better about people leaving the house from our first training session.  I’m just really glad that she is receptive to the training in her advanced age.  My thinking though is that if she can learn new bad habits, she can learn new good habits.

Since we knew that Ally was coming over, I threw a couple of turkey thighs in to the oven to bake with bell peppers and onion.  Nick ate it over leftover rice and I had mine with an avocado.  Nothing spectacular, but it filled our bellies.


No comments: