Wednesday, March 23, 2011

CVS Extra Bucks Addiction

Since I discovered the CVS Extra Bucks coupons that come on the bottom of the receipt if you use your CVS card, I've been hooked.  Maybe a little too hooked.  I used to throw them all away because I didn't know what they were for until I actually saw someone use them and how easy it was.  Now when I'm sitting at the stoplight to go home I pull out my nice long receipts to look at what my spending has "earned" me.  I cut my coupons off and put them in my wallet for the next time as soon as I get home.

My Auntie Mary sent me a 25% off coupon and I'm tempted to us it, but that means that I have to go down there and buy things that I don't need.  My dad's philosophy is that I can save 100% by just not buying anything, but I have to tell you, I love getting things at a discount if I:

  1. Need it
  2. Really want it
  3. Will eventually buy it
When those are the cases I love using the coupons.  I do recognize, however, that they make me spend more.  For instance, a couple of weeks ago I went to get a package of baby wipes for makeup removal.  Those were $8 by themselves and I had a $5 Extra Bucks coupon.  I could have walked out of the store with my giant bag of baby wipes that will last me months for only $3, but did I?  Of course not.  I also had a coupon for $3 off a $15 purchase or more to accompany my $5 Extra Bucks. (I like that you can pile coupons at CVS.) As I was walking down the face cleanser aisle I saw all the little tags that said, buy $15 of CVS brand facial care products, $5 Extra Bucks back.  Perfect!  Since I'm not extremely fond of the Boots makeup remover I decided that I would try out the CVS brand remover that is supposed to be like the L'Oreal brand and also to try their cold cream.  My mom has always used cold cream for her make up removal, but I never really liked it when I was younger.  I decided that I would give it another shot.  After those two items, I didn't have $15 worth of facial products so I also got myself a CVS brand facial toner.  I got all of those things just so that I could get another $5 Extra Bucks back.  Is that crazy or what?  I'm spending more money trying to save money!  

In this case it worked out because I ended up returning the cold cream and makeup remover because they stung my eyes, but still got to keep my $5 Extra Bucks coupon.  I guess you could cheat the system by returning stuff all of the time, but that becomes tedious.  For now I still get my kicks from saving $8 when I go to the store, but I think I will have to slow down soon.  There is only so much that I need at CVS.  Now that I'm running out of storage for my makeup and have enough makeup to last me a lifetime, I really need to stay away so I don't buy even more products that I don't need. 

No comments: