Monday, December 08, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

This was the first year that we were able to host Thanksgiving comfortably.  Last year we were all crammed into our apartment eating off a fold out table with a table cloth.  After hosting in our apartment, which was homey and cozy, I'm even more thankful for everything that we have. Thanksgiving at the apartment was our test run.  We were getting ready for the challenge of cleaning a big house, running a Turkey Trot, and hosting a full dinner.  We all know that I love the holidays.  I was very grateful that this year both Nick's grandma and grandpa were able to attend.  In the past, his grandparents weren't able to join us because of health reasons. I don't know if it's because his grandpa wanted to see our new house or was just feeling better, but he came, which made me very happy and extremely thankful.

The last two years I've run a local Turkey Run and my knees killed me, leaving Nick to do the heavy lifting with Thanksgiving dinner.  He pretty much forbid me to not run another Turkey Run if we were going to be cooking.  Throughout the year I figured out how to manage my knee pain. For the first time, my extended family wanted to do a Turkey Run.  I did little training, but knowing how to manage the pain really helped.  I didn't try to be macho and sign up for the 10k, but ran the 5k with my younger cousins.  I was able to get back and feel fine while preparing dinner for Nick's family.

Menu:
Deviled eggs
Cheese, olives and Spanish cured meats
Turkey
Honey Baked Ham
Oyster dressing
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Sauteed mushrooms
Roasted mixed vegetables
Roasted cauliflower
Green bean casserole
Stove Top (yes we had two stuffings)
Homemade cranberry sauce
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Sarah Lee pound cake



My Mom had Christopher bring two trays of deviled eggs. Yum. 

Homemade cranberry sauce.

The turkey was a little crispy, but it wasn't super dry.

Roasted carrots, mini squash, and red potatoes.

Green bean casserole. 




Oyster stuffing made by Mom (in law). 


Roasted cauliflower.

Sauteed mushrooms

Bacon brussel sprouts


The spread



Grandma is very happy. 

No comments: