Sunday, April 15, 2007

Currently reading: The Color Purple by Alice Walker


"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you'll go."

— Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"


I am currently reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I highly suggest that everyone add this to their book list. Later when I have the time, I will give you an brief analysis to entice you into this marvelous book. I will be comparing this book to The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison for my grad app. sample for The College of Saint Rose. Unfortunately, my nicely written in copy is at home and it'll take to long to be sent, but I'm getting a copy from the RPI library to skim through. I've read it two or three times already, and absolutely love it. The pain and self loathing of the little girl makes your heart wrench. Anyways, I know that Oprah played Celie in The Color Purple a while back (totally suits her since the character is supposed to be super ugly), but everyone should totally read the book. It is absolutely amazing. The dialect used makes it a little slow to read, but it's not too hard to get through. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston was WAY worse. Ed tried to read it, but he didn't like it much because it was so...slang-ish. If anyone wants to read that, I have two copies at home. I had to read it for two different classes, but forgot that I had already bought and read it. I didn't figure it out until I started reading it again and was like "hey, I think I've read this before". Anyways, another good book if you have the time to read it. I'm enjoying The Color Purple way more though.

Boy, with all of the books I suggest you can start a book list from my suggestions. Heheh

Here have been my recent readings and suggestions:

1. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson
2. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
3. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
4. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
5. The Shopaholics series by Sophi Kinsella
6. The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling (how could you expect me to leave this one off?)


Hmm looks like I've been doing a lot of reading lately. And here you all thought I was doing nothing. Anyways, I'm in the middle of doing some pretty heavy analysis on The Color Purple, so I must be off. I've figured out what the color purple's significance is, but I won't tell you so that I don't spoil it, however, I will divulge the themes that I've picked out.

Love
Hate
Failure
Fear
Gender confusion

Hopefully this will get you interested enough to go and pick it up.

Happy Reading!

No comments: