Monday, August 25, 2008

From the airplane

Well, it's back to good old New York for me. I'm currently on the plane somewhere over the midwest. I figured that I should start my blog back up to suppress the feelings of bitterness and irritation. Plus, I have pictures.

As most of you know, I spent that last week at home because I was throwing a baby shower for my good friend Melanie. All those invitations and name tags were finally put to use. The party was quite intimate. By the end everyone knew one another. It was a pretty good time, but I could feel myself fading. I had only had one small cup of coffee and the two Pepsis that I dashed to consume were not holding me over. But in the end, everything was okay. My ducky cake looked really nice and Melanie enjoyed the chocolate ducks. We were very ducki-fied.

Let me tell you about that dumb duck cake. The box lied! I should write them to get my money back. It was supposed to be a 3D cake that could stand up. Well, when I cut the bottom like the instructions said it stood up, but was really funny looking. For some reason the cake deflates when it comes out of the oven. I know that baked goods tend to do this, but it would have been nice if this particular cake didn't do it. I even tried to do that cake two different ways and it still deflated. Anyways, so I was sitting at the kitchen table and said "From this side the duck looks normal." then I turned the cake around "And this side looks normal." and then I turned it so that we could see it straight on and said "So what the heck happened?" This cracked my mom and bro up. Each individual side looked perfectly fine, but then when you looked at it straight on it looked like it should have been a flat cake that I tried to stand up. I was unable to fall asleep because I was trying to figure out a way to remedy my problem without having to lay it flat. My solution was to frost the flat side and then add the little star shaped frosting. Well, this was a lot easier to do in my head while I was staring at the giant Beatles poster on my ceiling. The frosting was not having it. In the end I just cut off the deflated part and laid the duck down. As you can imagine I was getting very frustrated that the cake wasn't turning out the way I wanted. My mom and bro were being really nice and trying to help me put the too soft frosting into the Pampered Chef frosting pump. After a few minutes of me being grumpy they cleared out until I was pretty much done. I had to keep putting the pump into the freezer so that the frosting would harden up. It wasn't until after I was done that I talked to Julie who said that I could have put confectioners sugar in it to make it stiffer. Duh. Why didn't I think of that? That's what I use to make my regular frosting, but I didn't even think about putting it into store bought stuff. Well, what's done is done and it turned out pretty cute. All I have to say is: Josie, you can be the family cake maker and decorator. I'm retiring.






The rest of the trip was great. On Monday my mom, brother, and I went out to SF to have pizza with my extended family. (My dad had to go to a boy scout meeting.) I guess to me a good trip home is when I get to eat a lot. And that I did. I have a sick obsession with weighing myself and I literally saw myself gain five pounds. My pants are a little too tight for me now. I also got a new computer while I was home. It was a very generous birthday present from my parents. I was originally going to pay them back for a little over half of it, but then today when I was leaving they said that I didn't have to. I didn't argue. One "are you sure?" was all I could bring myself to say. I might be jobless until after Christmas so I need the savings!

Christopher and I hung out a lot this week. It's a lot better now that we're older. We get a long so much better. Plus, I'm super cool. I started painting some of his Warhammer stuff to see what the appeal is. It is quite entertaining, however, I'm a perfectionist so it was taking me hours to finish one. I completed two figurines.

As far as work goes, I gave my notice at the Y about a month ago. My last day is this coming Friday. Now I'm looking for a job, preferably somewhere that will start my career. I'd like to work at a book store since publishing firms look for that, but I'm having a difficult time. I was talking to a small publishing company but they said "We'll keep in touch"....we all know what that means. So back to the job search. Since I want to go home for the month of December I think it'll be hard for me to find a really good job between now and then. Then when I get back in January I think that we might be able to move back home when I graduate (my fingers are crossed), that is in May. So trying to find a serious job from Jan-May will be a little difficult I think. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just stuck it out at the Y, but I don't regret it. My boss is driving me crazy. If worse comes to worse I'll go work at Target or Petsmart or something. Somewhere where the employee turn around is pretty high. I would also like to go home in October to see Mel's baby, but I don't know if that's going to happen (I'd have to miss school and work...provided I have a job). And then there is always Thanksgiving. I want my family to come out to visit again this year, but we'll see. It'll be quite expensive and time consuming. If I can get Christopher out to see me then maybe we'll go down to Georgia, but no promises Annette! Either way, I don't want to be working during that week of Thanksgiving. Really, I think that I should just not work anywhere and just focus on my school work. Donations anyone? Just kidding.

Anyways, so that's about a weeks worth of blogs so I'm signing off with an alli-oop and a catch you on the flip side folks. Peace out yo.

1 comment:

Small but Weird said...

Yay for people eventually moving back home! I think your ducky cake looked great. The yellow was a good shade.