Monday, November 03, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: October 26, 2014

Nick's flight was delayed the night before so he was pretty tired all day on Sunday.  After going to a cousin's birthday party in the City I decided that I wanted some spaghetti.  I've been all about spaghetti lately.  Now, I've made plenty of pasta sauces in the past, but I've never been able to make an Italian tasting sauce because I throw so many different things in the pot.  I know that Italian sauces are very simple, but for me pasta sauces are kind of a catch for things that I need to use up.  Tonight I wanted to make a traditional pasta sauce.  I was trying at least.  It turned out really well.  I'm  no Italian, but it was the best traditional marinara sauce I've made so far. The extra virgin olive oil is really important to achieve that great rich flavor, which is something I've never used in the past. It is definitely a must-have ingredient. 


Marinara Sauce 
3 whole tomatoes, blended
6 cloves garlic; blended w/ tomatoes
1 small onion, minced
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp dried marjoram
4 bay leaves
4 tbsp fresh parsley
1/4 c EVOO
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp red chili flakes
1 tsp sugar 
Directions:
In a sauce pot, combine all ingredients.   Bring to a boil and then let simmer for at least an hour.  
Note: I pulsed my blender so that the tomatoes would still be chunky, but you can make it smooth if you like. 

No comments: