Thursday, November 17, 2011

Poor-Man's Tomato Soup

As a child my Mom always bought chicken noodle instead of tomato soup.  It wasn't until college that I had it with a grilled cheese sandwich and thought it was amazing.  This week I tried something new.  I wanted to make a tomato soup that was easy and affordable, plus I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to go to the store to get some.  My local Food Maxx is having a sale on their 8oz tomato sauce cans for $0.24 each.  I simply poured the sauce into a pot and added about 8oz of chicken stock.  After bringing it to a to a boil it looks just like the store bought stuff!  It's a little bit acidic so next time I'm going to add a pinch of sugar, but for about $0.30 I made a 16oz bowl of tomato soup to go with my ham and cheese sandwiches!  I might even spruce it up with some pepper and oregano next time, but I love how easy and simple this is. 
For my sandwiches I've been layering Swiss cheese and ham with a little bit of mustard and ranch dressing.  When I get to work I heat it up in the microwave and wa laa!  Melty ham and cheese sandwich!  It's been my thing for a few days now and I love it. 

Photobucket
I know it doesn't look like much, but sometimes some of the simplest things
are the most delicious. 

No comments: