Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey Meatballs

One of my favorite foods is spaghetti.  Lately I've been making spaghetti sauce and the freezing it to eat during the week when I don't feel like cooking.  What goes well with spaghetti?  Meatballs of course!

I had purchased ground turkey from Safeway at a buy one get one free price and picked up some Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage at my local Food Maxx.  Using what herbs I had in the fridge, basil and parsley, I made about 100 meat balls to freeze.  (I also minced some onion and one egg per batch to throw in there.)  These were super easy to make and only about $9.00 total.  I look for any excuse to use my Kitchen Aid mixer so I put it all in for a little whirl, but you can use your hands and it will be fine.

Photobucket
I used my cookie scoop to make them all about the same size.

Photobucket
Freezing them flat like this first will allow me to put them in a large baggie
later without them sticking to each other or molding into one big turkey
meatloaf.

Photobucket
They only take about an hour to freeze. I have a second tray waiting in the
fridge since my freezer is too small to do them both at the same time.

Photobucket
Wah La!  I made Hot Sausage and Sage Sausage varieties.  Now we can have
spaghetti and meatballs whenever we like,  I'm also excited to have some
meatball sandwiches!

No comments: