Saturday, March 29, 2008

Herbs: Day 12 Plus my Sweeney Todd review

Yesterday while I was at Target I picked up a clear shower curtain liner to cover my plants with so that I could cover them all without those vegetable bags. When I put the plants outside I had to scoop them a nice dry and snow-free spot so that they wouldn't get too cold. Then I put the cover on. When I went back to check on them a few hours later they steamed up when I lifted the cover. They were actually steaming while I was looking at them. I thought that they were going to cook! I tried to air them out a little and then put the cover back on.

Well, I guess in that cooking time Genovese Basil liked it because it finally sprouted. Sweet Basil, who I notices popping up yesterday, is doing well too. Notice: I talk about my plants as if they are real people. I'm obsessed, but I've come to the conclusion that it's just my slightly obtuse personality (Harry Potter, Emmy, musicals, Sailor Moon, shoes etc.).

Speaking of musicals, I saw Sweeney Todd last night. I love the music, but it's a little too bloody for me--definitely not a feel-good movie like Enchanted. It's about a "demon" barber, but really he's just a very angry guy who is trying to get back at the man who ruined his life. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter (Belatrix Lastrange), Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail), and Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat) were all directed by Tim Burton (The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride), which was amazing. I felt like I was watching Harry Potter with Johnny Depp and a couple of other extras. Like I said, it was very bloody, but Tim Burton added his grotesque flare, which made it more bearable (I know that sounds weird, but I don't know how else to describe it). The blood wasn't very realistic and there was a lot of dark humor in it. I don't think I'll purchase the DVD because it made me feel slightly edgy by the end, but I did get the soundtrack and have been singing it since I woke up this morning. I've also been thinking about the actual writing style of the musical too. I think it was very well done with a couple of exceptions. So if anyone who has seen it wants to talk shop feel free to send me an email/IM.

No comments: