Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Grilled Curry and Lime Catfish

Yet another great dinner in my tummy. Tonight we had grilled catfish with curry and lime. It was inspired by a recipe that was in How to Cook Everything...you know that big yellow cookbook that everyone should have. This book really does tell you how to cook everything. If you're a beginning cook this is a good book because it explains everything to you, but for visual people like me it is lacking of glossy pictures. Although I think this book is great, I like to see what I'm going to get. Now that I've been cooking a lot more, I can kind of visualize what I'm going to make will look like, so the heavy yellow textbook is coming in handy now. Anyway, I pretty much followed the rub recipe, but had to add my own spin to it. Edward always remarks/complains that I never follow the directions to recipes. Sometimes things turn out well and sometimes they don't. It's a good thing this one turned out well.








Grilled Curry and Lime Catfish
Servings: 2
Time: 40 min

Ingredients:
2 catfish fillets
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 lime
zest of 1 lime

1 Tbsp garlic, minced
2 Tbsp EVOO
1 small head of lettuce, coarsely chopped

4 cups water
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 cup polenta or cornmeal
(reserved rub)
1 Tbsp EVOO

Directions:
Fish
Combine cumin, curry powder, salt, pepper, zest, and half a lime's juice in bowl and set aside. Squeeze half a lime's juice over both sides of catfish fillets; rub in. Spread rub over both sides of fish, reserving about a Tbsp for polenta seasoning. Let rub sit on catfish for 15-20 minutes. Grill catfish on foil for 10-15 minutes; until flaky and completely white.

Lettuce
Heat oil in wok until the oil ripples. Add garlic and stir constantly to cook. Do not let it burn. Add lettuce and stir fry until slightly wilted.

Polenta
Bring water and salt to a boil. Mix reserved seasoning and EVOO. Add polenta to water and stir with a whisk until it begins to thicken. While it is still slightly fluid, whisk in seasoning. Once thickened, take off heat and stir with a wooden spoon. Let stand for 5 minutes.

I should start a blog called "Cooking With Allison", however, during then winter it would be top ramen every day. Heheh


For everyone who read my last post, I don't have any pictures in my weed whacking get up because I was home alone with the Doozer. Maybe next time Ed will be home so that he can take a picture of me...however if Edward is home then he'll probably be the one to weed whack.

No comments: