Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wheat-crust Mozzarella pizza with fresh basil

I ended up using this pizza dough recipe from allrecipes.com instead of the America's Test Kitchen one since I didn't want to try the 14 day free membership. Instead of using all purpose flour like the recipe calls for, I used wheat flour and added and extra half a cup of water. Since I had to go to work, I let the dough rise for 3 hours while I was gone. It doesn't look like you need to let the dough rise, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt any. Since I did let it rise I was able to cut the dough in half and freeze some for future use. I don't have a pizza pan, so Ed and I bought a set of disposable ones. If I find that I start to make more pizza then I'll consider buying one. But for now, disposable it is.




Recipe:

Follow instructions from Allrecipes.com; adding an additional 1/2 cup of warm water.

1 8oz can tomato sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese; shredded
2 tbsp fresh basil


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread pizza dough evenly on pizza pan. Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce as evenly as possible. Layer cheese and basil accordingly. Bake for 15-20 min depending on thickness of crust.


I really liked just plain tomato sauce because it was nice and sweet, which went well with the cheese and basil. If you like the savoriness of spaghetti sauce then you can use that istead.

No comments: