Saturday, July 19, 2008

Move over McDonald's



I made these for breakfast today. They're pretty much like Egg McMuffins from McDonald's, but way healthier and better tasting. I am a big fan of runny sunny side up eggs and these were delicious.

Allison's Egg sandwiches

Ingredients
2 eggs
2 English muffins
2 slices of deli ham
2 slices American cheese
Ketchup to dress

Directions
Heat a frying pan on medium heat. Spray on cooking oil so that the eggs don't stick. Crack eggs directly into pan. You can precrack them into a bowl if you're worried about shells falling in. Cover pan so that the thicker parts of the egg cook. This also reduces burning the bottom of your eggs because it keeps the heat in, cooking the top of the egg and allowing you to have a fairly low heat. Once eggs are firm enough to be moved, shift them in the pan and add your ham. Meanwhile, split your English muffins and toast them. Place American cheese on one half of your muffin. Add your ham to your sandwich. You don't need to cook the ham, but it tastes better when you heat it. Once eggs are cooked to your favored consistency, place on top of ham. Add ketchup as desired.


This last week eggs were on sale so I stocked up. The English muffins, which I'm usually to frugal to buy, were buy 1 get 2 free. How awesome is that? I had to get them. That sale is what spurred my McDonald's knock off. The ham was also on sale for $3.99 a pound. I had a little leftover from my lunches and knew that it would be good in my sandwiches.

I got ham and cheese this week because Ed and I made sandwiches like that in Seville, Spain when we were there. To save money we would go to local markets and buy things that we recognized. Ham, cheese, and bread were among the short list of things. I guess I was feeling nostalgic last week because I was craving those meager sandwiches that we assembled on the beds of our hostel. To spruce up my sandwiches I got some cute little French rolls and lettuce. They looked like mini sub sandwiches. The kids were looking longingly at my lunch and I had to tell them to back off. I did share my Wheat Thins with them though. Most snubbed them because they said that they were to healthy. Anyways, so I had my cute little subs, salad, and Wheat Thins all week for lunch. It was very good and made me feel healthy since I don't put any sauces on my sandwich and was using Lite ranch dressing.

No comments: