Compliments of Betty Crocker's Slow Cooker Cookbook
Beef and Potatoes with Rosemary
1 lb medium red potatoes, cut into fourths
1 C baby-cut carrots
3 lb beef boneless chuck roast
2 T Dijon mustard
2 T chopped fresh or 1 1/2 t dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
1 t chopped fresh or 1/2 t dried thyme leaves
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 C)
1 1/2 C beef broth
1.Arrange potatoes and carrots in 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker.
2. Trim excess fat from beef. Mix mustard, rosemary, thyme, salt and paper; spread evenly over beef. Place beef in slow cooker. Sprinkle onion over beef. Pour broth evenly over beef and vegetables.
3. Cover and cook on low heat setting to 8- 10 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
4. Remove beef and vegetables from cooker, using slotted spoon; place on serving platter. Skim fat from beef juices in cooker if desired. Serve with beef juices.
2 T vegetable oil
2 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large onion, sliced
1 can (14 1/2 oz) ready-to-serve beef broth
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T paprika
1 t salt
1/4 t caraway seed, if desired
1/4 t pepper
1/4 cold water
3 T all-purpose flour
1 medium bell pepper, cut into strips
8 C hot cooked noodles, for serving
1. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef in oil about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Place beef and onion 3 1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker.
2. Mix broth, tomato paste, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, caraway seed and pepper; stir into beef mixture.
3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours until beef is tender.
4. Mix water and flour; gradually stir into beef mixture. Stir in bell pepper. Cover and cook on high heat setting 30 minutes.
5. Serve goulash over noodles.
Betty Crocker's: Slow Cooker Cook Book. General Mills, Inc. 1999. 56, 68.