Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: July 20, 2014

Even thought it's been really quite hot in our area I really wanted to try out a Philly Cheese Steak Stew that I saw on Pinterest.  While I used this recipe as a guide, I took my own liberties and changed it up a bit. I followed the recipe up until the cheese section.  Instead of provolone, I used shredded pepper jack. Since I couldn't find bread bowls, laid the bread slices on top French Onion Soup style. This is something I learned from Julia Child's cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volume 1.  After I served the stew into a bowl, I put about half a cup of cheese in the soup.  On top of that went the onion, bread, and then more cheese. I sautéed an extra onion to lay on top of the stew, but under the bread.  I stuck the bowls under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the cheese on top melted.   It was actually not very complicated to make when following The Cozy Apron's recipe.  I also used fewer mushrooms than the original recipe called for since I am allergic to them. It was so delicious, but out Asian bellies couldn't handle all the dairy.



No comments: