Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dinners with and for the Fongs

This post is way beyond due.  The Fongs have already been back in Kuwait for about a month now, but I haven't had time to post all of the food that we ate and made.  The first night we went to one of our favorite Italian restaurants, Postino.  It was delicious as always and apparently Cat Cora used to be a chef there.  I had no idea!  I just knew that I loved the place.  We got our normal Buratta appetizer that includes prosciutto, home made mozzarella and tomato relish, toasted baguettes, and green olives.  We also got a clam appetizer and beef capriccio that were quite good as well.  For dinner Nick and I got the house specials, a veal stuffed ravioli type pasta in osso bucco broth and meatballs over polenta. Mr. Fong and Nick's sister got whole fish and Mrs. Fong got eggplant parmesan.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Every time that the Fongs come home they like to go to sushi in the Piedmont area to see one of their church friends who is the sushi chef there.  Sushi guru?  Whatever his title is, he is the head sushi person at this restaurant.  They like the place so much that they went there two or three times during their stay.  It's nice because the chef knows that I'm not really into raw fish so he always makes me a non-fish roll.  We also went to Mustard's in Napa, where we saw Laura Dern from Jurassic Park.  Since I'm not a big Jurassic Park fan I looked at her and said to Nick, "That lady looks familiar.  Like from TV or something."  He looked at her and agreed, but it was Nick's sister who recognized her.  We thought that was pretty cool, but I think I enjoyed my food more than seeing her.  

Photobucket
Rabbit nuggets really did taste like chicken.

Usually our families get together when they are home just to catch up.  Last year the Fongs came to celebrate Christopher's graduation and then we got together during Christmas time too. This year, we decided to have a BBQ for them.  Nick and I grilled whole trout, prawns, and scallops.  Oh man, it was good.  Nick is definitely my grill master. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Nick even grilled the broccoli!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Before they left, we all went out to dinner a restaurant called Chow in Lafayette.  It was pretty good, but I prefer Postino. I had been craving lasagna so I got their organic, homemade pasta lasagna.  I'm not sure if it's just because I'm not in tune with all the organic mumbo jumbo, but it was really unsatisfying.  I need my lasagna to have substance, and this thing was flatter than my dad's steak. 

Photobucket

Photobucket
Nick's vegetarian lasagna from Chow

Photobucket
Lasagna from Postino.  It was so much more satisfying.


No comments: