Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tonight's Dinner: August 13, 2012

For some reason I've been wanting grilled trout.  I think it's because it is camping weather and I remember the good old days when our family would go to Pinecrest for a week.  I dislike camping with a passion, but Pinecrest was much more doable when we would stay in a hotel-ish cabin.  (We upgraded to that after we stopped doing Camp Blue for most of my childhood. Ugh the mosquito eaters in the shower stalls still haunt me.)  Not really sure if you can call that camping, but we did go out on a boat and fish at the crack of dawn so it's camping to me.

Anyway, because the days have been so hot and the evenings a balmy 80+ degrees, I've been wanting some trout.  I got two large ones from Ranch 99.  We grilled them Chinese style with jalapenos, garlic, ginger, green onion, soy sauce, and sesame oil.  Originally, I was going to filet the fish and do a corn meal crust in the oven, but we got lazy.  Because of our laziness, I had a whole tub of Greek yogurt that I bought to coat the fish with to get the corn meal to stick.  I consulted Google as I don't usually use a whole lot of Greek yogurt.  That will be changing soon as it is delicious.  I found a Creamy Mashed Cauliflower recipe that turned out really well.  Instead of boiling the cauliflower in Adobo spice as the recipe recommends, I used our Harris Ranch Grill Seasoning.  It turned out spectacularly.  The mash was so nice and creamy, but we had very little guilt in eating piles of it because the yogurt was low in fat and cauliflower is pretty good for you.  I also whipped up some spinach noodles with baby kale and diced tomatoes in garlic EVOO (a pretty standard carb at our place.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: