Monday, April 09, 2012

Tonight's Dinner: April 8, 2012

My Dad always complains that my pasta sauces are thin and watery so last night I decided to try something different.  Instead of just boiling the heck out of it and letting the juices evaporate, which I've tried before with little success, I blended it all together before cooking.  It worked!  It was actually the best part of the dinner.  I had tried pan frying the ravioli, but they came out rather tough and the organic chicken sausage had a funny flavor to me.  At least the thing that I made from scratch turned out well.  My dad took a look at the sauce and said, "That looks like a Stoup.  Yup, I know what stoup is!"

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App


Allison's Thick Pasta Sauce 
2 heads garlic, peeled
1/2 cup baby carrots
1/2 mushroom stems
1 can tomato paste
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes, drained (large sized can)
1 12 oz can diced tomatoes
1 8oz tomato sauce
16 mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 tbsp dried marjoram
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp dried basil
pinch of sugar 
Directions: 
In a blender, blend garlic, carrots, mushroom stems, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce.  In a medium sized pan over medium-high heat, saute onions and mushrooms.  Add spices except sugar, sauté for one minute.  Add blended tomato mixture. Add pinch of sugar and bring to a boil.  Let simmer for at least an hour or until garlic is cooked.

Grade: A

No comments: