Monday, July 01, 2013

Bouldering

I haven't been doing much cooking or blogging recently because Christopher and I picked up a new hobby.  Bouldering!  It's basically rock climbing on 13 foot rock walls without the harnesses.  We joined a rock climbing gym that includes a comprehensive cardio and weight area, exercise classes and a 20 yard pool.  We decided to sign up for their three month plan for the summer to train for our Spartan and Tough Mudder races. So far we've gone enough for me to think that our membership was worth it and it's only been a week.  Depending on how it goes, I may even continue going after Christopher goes away for school.  One of the next goals that I'm working towards is a triathlon.

I can tell that my hands are much stronger and I'm much more confident with climbing. I also feel much more in tune with my body like I was when I was a gymnast.  So far I'm really enjoying it.  Our hands are still adjusting, but I can feel the calluses forming already (this is good).  I've also taken a couple of classes that they offer.  Yoga is way harder than it looks!

So for now blogging may be limited because Nick and I have been scrounging around the fridge for left overs.  Last week alone I lost four pounds and noticed that an entire fat roll is gone!  This is extremely fulfilling.  Losing weight and gaining muscle.  That's the way I want it to go!  I'm on my way to being where I want to be for the wedding.  ...minus my muscular man calves, but I can't help that.

 photo null_zpseee5ace7.jpg
After the first day of climbing my hands were burning and
red.  The next day the red spot on my ring finger actually
ripped and has yet to fully heal. I also couldn't squeeze my stapler
for three days, but managed to get to the gym six times last
week.  

 photo IMG_8318_zps7df011b0.jpeg
I have been really working on getting this course.  It's the
lowest level, but I swear that it's the hardest of the lower
levels.  I've now graduated to the third level, but still can't
get this one!  I like that there are always challenges so we
don't get bored.

No comments: