Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: October 16, 2014

Tonight we asked our friend over for dinner so that I could practice some of the dishes that I'm planning to make for Thanksgiving.  We make the same things every year, but I don't make those dishes all of the time so I'm a little rusty. I'm especially bad at mushrooms now.  I used to make mushrooms all the time when I ignored the fact that I'm allergic to them.  Now that I'm older, even eating something that was cooked with mushrooms makes my lips peel and scalp itchy.  Nick likes mushrooms so I'll buy them and he will cook them in the pan after I'm done making dinner and will add them to his dish.  It's been working out pretty well for us.

So tonight since I had cooked the mushrooms, they were botched.  We've decided that for Thanksgiving Nick will be in charge of making them.  I did successfully make sage-butter chicken thighs, garlic green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, and bacon brussel sprouts. Our friend doesn't like brussel sprouts but he was a good a sport and tried them out.  He actually liked them and had a second helping.  With enough bacon, anything can be good.  When people tell me that they don't like brussel sprouts I tell them that they need to try them the way I make them.  The bacon usually wins people over.

Bacon brussel sprouts

Garlic green beans

Soy sauce and cream mushrooms.  I don't know what I was thinking...

Garlic mashed potatoes

No comments: