Monday, November 13, 2006

For Hot Pocket lovers

Tonight I made a sort of knock-off Hot Pocket. I my opinion it tasted better just because it was so much cheaper and had way more stuffing. Here's what you do:

Ingredients:

Deli sliced honey baked ham
Shredded cheese
Grand's flakey biscuits
Flour

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

I used all store brand stuff to cut back on the cost. So I took my nice Price Chopper biscuits and rolled them out with a rolling pin. Spread some flour on your board and rolling pin. To ensure that your biscuit doesn't stick to the pin, lightly flour the dough. Roll out the dough to an oval that's about seven or eight inches long. The dough should be pretty thin, but not see through. Place about five or six slices of ham and then spread shredded cheese on top of the ham. Take the end of dough that is furthest away from you and fold it over so that all the contents are covered by the dough like a sandwich. Roll the edges of dough to close your little pocket. I used my thumbs to press down the edges so that no cheese would spill out. To finish I used a fork to primp (is that the right word? crimp maybe) the edges to make it pretty. I sprayed my baking sheet with Pam just to be safe. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

It was soooo good. I made four and I think it probably cost us like $3 or $4. I plan to make tomato, mozzarella and basil pockets in a day or two. I'll keep you posted as to how those go. Ed gave this recipe a thumbs up. Here are some pictures of how they turned out.


This is one of the corners of my pocket. I was so engrossed in eating it that I forgot to take a picture of what was inside. I'm sure you can make these as fancy as you want. Just remember to roll it into an oval for best results. One of them I didn't do like that and it came out looking weird. That's okay, it tasted just as good.

No comments: