Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tonight's Dinner: September 10, 2012

Tonight I concocted a garlic-shallot puree to smother our chicken breast with.  It was SO good.  My tongue is feeling mildy better so I was able to eat my whole plate.  I had picked up a bone-in chicken breast from 99 Ranch on Sunday.  Chicken breast is my least favorite, but I was determined to make it.  I had gone into Ranch not knowing at all what I was going to make for the week so I bought four proteins, four vegetables, my favorite spinach noodles, shallots, garlic, and tofu.  (I don't cook on Fridays, which is why I only bought for four nights.)  This week's meals will come out to a whopping $37.  Tonight meal was roughly $10.



I did my normal EVOO with garlic spinach noodles, but there
was so much good stuff at the bottom of the pan that we also
threw them in to soak up more garlic flavor.

Carving the chicken breast. If it wasn't
so late and a weeknight, I would have
used the bones to make a stock. 
Mustard greens with garlic.
The chicken was super moist and juicy. 


Garlic-Shallot Puree Chicken Breast 
1 chicken breast, bone in
2 heads garlic
1 shallot
3 tbsp EVOO 
Directions: 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a blender or food processor, blend one head of garlic, shallot, and EVOO together. Smash the cloves of the second head of garlic. Gently separate the skin from the meat and shove smashed garlic under the skin.  Pour garlic-shallot puree under skin and on under side of chicken.  Fully coat chicken with puree.  Cover with foil and bake in oven for 20 minutes.  Remove covering and bake for an additional 45 minutes. 

As a belated birthday present, my coworker made me this composition book in our wedding colors.  It's too pretty to use!


Inside front cover

Inside back cover

Look at the cool embossing in the
top left-hand corner.

No comments: