Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: February 3, 2014



Tonight Nick and I did a collaboration dinner.  Usually I’m the cook because I don’t want to have to clean up after I eat.  If I cook, he cleans. If he cooks, I clean.  I had gone for a trial 10k to see if my knees and hips could hold up.  I have an upcoming 10k trail run with a friend, but haven’t had much success with managing my joint pain.  I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to do the run, but if I can take it easy going down the hills, my knees and hips will be okay.  I might try the going down backwards method.  

I think this week will be a “clean out the fridge” week, which means random recipes.  Since we have leftover veggies from Chinese New Year dinner and some chicken, I’m going to try to stretch out what we have for the whole week. Tonight’s dinner was already the start of the randomness.  We had gone to a friend’s house for the Super Bowl and brought chili and chips.  I had gotten one of those humongous cans of chili that we used to buy for Bingo night at the local Elk’s Club.  I didn’t have time or want to spend the effort, frankly, to make our special Big Game chili.  Since there was more chili than could fit in our crock pot, Nick saved a good sized Tupperware of chili for us.   Chicken cooked in chili, as Nick says, seems sacrilegious.  Whatever the case, it was really tasty.  I also made a little sauce for pasta out of left over roasted garlic spread, the bottom of a bottle of chardonnay and some hot pepper flakes.  A mish-mash dinner that was really tasty.




No comments: