Monday, February 10, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: February 9, 2014


Today I did nothing. Well, pretty much nothing. I woke up around 10:30 and took Emmy for a short walk.  We were trying to avoid going in the rain, so it limited the distance of our walk.  Neither of us like going out in the rain.  Emmy will actually look back at me with sad eyes saying, “Do we really have to go out?”  Sometimes I put her rain jacket on, but she looks even sadder with it on.  She hates wearing clothes. 

On the Emmy front, we are hoping for the best.  The vet said that from the ultrasound that they took, the lining of her bladder is very thick.  He has her on antibiotics for a month, but he suspects that there could be a tumor.  Way to put a terrible idea in our heads.  I think that it is good though that he has her on medication first to see if it helps with the inflammation before coming to any rash conclusions.  If there is a tumor, things are still hopeful.  He will operate and remove the balloon portion of her bladder, which means that she will have to go to the bathroom more often, but at least she will live.  She still runs around like there is nothing wrong and it seems like she is having an easier time going to the bathroom.  The vet thinks that she probably got the bladder infection from having to hold her urine all day.  Even though I know that Nick is worried about Emmy, I think he is more worried about how I will be if something bad happens to her.

This weekend we tried to teach her to go to the bathroom inside on a wee pad and failed miserably.  She laid on top of it, sat on it, sniffed it, and rejected it.  She looked at us like, “Are you crazy?! I’m not going to the bathroom inside the house!”  I tried moving the wee pad to the balcony and she did the same thing.  So much for that idea.  I don’t really know how to train a dog who already knows not to go potty inside the house to start going potty inside the house.  It’s a backwards idea and I’m sure that Emmy thinks I’m crazy for even suggesting it.  For now Nick is going to go home during lunch to take her to the bathroom.  I don’t think that she had this problem before because I would go home during my lunches, but now I work further away so it’s Nick’s turn to start going home.   So for now, we are hoping that the antibiotics help her and will have to start going home during lunch again or hire someone to come and take her out during the day.

After our short walk, I had some ramen and then laid on the couch to read.  That ended up in a three hour nap.  By then it was time to take Emmy out again, but she didn’t want to go out because of the rain.  Also probably because she knew I didn’t want to go out in the rain because she later went on a full walk with Nick, who doesn’t mind getting wet.  She’s a good dog. 

I was feeling relatively lazy after having a long day of laziness, but wanted to use up my overly ripe bananas.  Since Nick’s office donated to the Lazarex Foundation that I’m running the SF Marathon for, I made them Banana-Chocolate Chip “Crack” muffins as a thank you.  His office dubbed the muffins “crack muffins” the first time I made them because they are addicting.  I used this banana crumble muffin recipe as a base and then add chocolate chips and nutmeg.  I was on a roll and the Sunday Lazy Syndrome had been kicked.  After those went in the oven, I started on making us a sausage and mixed dark greens frittata big enough for a family of four, Siracha biscuits, and country gravy for dinner.  It was a lot of food, but we were able to take it for lunch.  


The frittata was really, really good.   It’s great if you’re trying to watch your weight and cutting back on carbs.  I didn’t have to use any additional oil, salt or pepper as the sausage provided enough for the whole dish.  As for the Siracha biscuits, they where just okay.  The recipe called for self-rising flour, but I only had all purpose so I added a teaspoon of baking soda.  The biscuits just didn’t have that light, buttery taste.  I had added a table spoon of butter, but wasn’t nearly enough to make them buttery tasting.  It makes me wonder how much restaurants put into theirs.   Mine weren’t inedible, but they weren’t delectable either.  Nick is a good husband and kept them to bring with his lunch where as I told him just to toss them.  I still prefer Bisquick from a box. 






My genius husband decided that it was a good idea to grab the pan that came right out of the oven.  This is how the conversation went:

Scene: I'm squatting in front of the oven window watching the frittata cook while texting
Nick: Are you just watching the fritatta?
Allison: Yeah, I don't want it to burn and it's almost done.
Nick exits kitchen. Oven timer chimes. Allison takes the pan out of the oven.
Nick reenters kitchen and picks up the pan.
Nick: Ow! Hot!
Me: I just took that out of the oven! Put some ice on it.
Nick: I didn't know that!
Me: You just saw me squatting in front of the oven watching it.
Nick: I forgot!



Over the last year or two I’ve been having really sensitive skin.  When I eat certain things my lips begin to itch and soon after flake and crack for days.  I’ve known for a long time that I’m allergic to mushrooms, but that always caused and itchy mouth and throat.  I was able to deal with that so I still ate them anyway.  It wasn’t until I was talking to a friend over Super Bowl weekend that she thought that my skin probably could be related to something I was eating.  Bingo!  Mushrooms.  It all started to make sense since I usually get the reaction after eating at a Chinese restaurant, which are pretty notorious for cross contamination and use tons of mushrooms.  I’m pretty sure they are the culprit.  My lips have been pretty much back to normal and the corners that were threatening to make me look like the Joker are starting to heal back up.  Why am I saying all this?  Well, the spices in the sausage mixed with the egg give the frittata a savory headiness that mushrooms have.  It was so full of flavor that I almost expected my lips to itch based on the similar flavor.  Luckily for me, they haven’t.  I’ve been off of eating mushrooms for about two weeks.  I did forget midweek last week after hearing the news about Emmy and went to get pizza during lunch with a coworker.  My lips immediately started to itch.  Since then though, I haven’t had any and my lips are doing fine.  Moral of the story, if you know you’re allergic to something, just don’t eat it even if you really like them.


Sausage and Dark Greens frittata
1 lb sweet Italian pork sausage
1 onion, diced
1 bunch green onion, sliced
3 cups baby mixed greens
12 eggs, scrambled

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a large, oven-safe, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage with white and green onions.  Cook until onions are translucent.  Add mixed greens and cook down until liquid has evaporated.  Add eggs.   Place in oven for 10-15 minutes or until edges begin to brown.  Remove from oven and let rest in pan for 5 minutes.  With a plastic spatula, remove from pan and let rest for another 5 minutes on a cutting board.  Slice as desired.

Notes: 
1.       I use the Earthbound Farm Organic Power Deep Green Blends from Costco.  The bag has all baby greens consisting of spinach, kale and chard.
2.       I used my blender to scramble my eggs.
3.       I used my 12” Calphalon non-stick pan
4.       You can add cheese if you like, but the frittata is pretty rich and filling on its own.

No comments: