Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chinese-Style Lettuce Wraps

One of our favorite dishes at Chinese restaurants is the lettuce wrap.  It is just so good.  I tried making it once when I was in college and missing home, but it just wasn't the same because I used ground beef.  Now that I've been cooking more and have a little more knowledge of flavor and ingredients, I thought I'd take another whack at it.  While it wasn't exactly like the restaurants, the wrap was pretty darn tasty and passable.

Lettuce Wraps 
butter lettuce
1lb ground pork
1 8oz can water chestnuts, minced
5 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 tbsp italian parsley, minced
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
4 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp dry white wine 
Directions:
Saute water chestnuts, garlic, and ginger for one minute.  Add pork.  Stir in oyster sauce, soy sauce, wine, and parsley.  Stir fry until meat is fully cooked and liquid has reduced.  Serve with butter lettuce.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Since dinners have been pretty light and not full of calories,
we were unsatisfied and each ate a cucumber
while watching Castle.

No comments: