Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Tonight's Dinner: June 26, 2012

Fail.  I've realized after all these years that I'm like my dad and don't like pesto.  I think I was trying to convince myself that I really enjoy it, but I just don't.  I didn't finish my dinner and Nick reminded me that on our first date I ordered a pesto gnocchi and didn't finish that either.  Granted, that was probably from nerves, but I also didn't go back to eat my left overs after the date was long over.

If you hadn't guessed, I made a pesto for dinner.  Nick thought it was great!  My first mistake was that I didn't know that you should cook your pesto with the pasta.  I had poured it on top of Nick's dish like a normal pasta sauce.  After he tossed it into a small frying pan, it was much tastier.  Still, it didn't float my boat.  Maybe if I would have used a recipe...  Nick thought it tasted like a normal pesto sauce and that it was really good for my first (and last) try.  I don't understand why I don't like it.  I love all of the ingredients!

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
Before tossing it in the pan

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
After tossing in the pan

Since it was a little bit warm, I also made a cold tomato-basil soup.  I'm not really sure what the difference is between this cold soup and a gazpacho except that gazpacho sounds cooler.  "I made a gazpacho last night", sounds way more impressive than "I made a cold tomato soup".  Whatever name the soup falls under, it was very tasty.   We both agreed, however, that it would have been better warm.  Maybe we aren't gazpacho lovers.  I know from the cruises I've been on that their gazpachos were never my favorite. Alas, tonight's dinner was nothing to go crazy over.  The best part was the turkey kielbasa that Nick grilled for the top of the pasta.  Hillshire Farm did most of the work on that though. 

I brought some of the soup for a mid-morning snack.  I'm going to warm it up and have it with gold fish. 

No comments: