Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Today's Lunch: May 11, 2014

We had a busy Mother's Day.  The reason we took my Mom out on Saturday night is because we were planning on going to the City to have lunch with my Grandma and extended family.  My Mom didn't think that she would be hungry enough for a nice dinner afterwards.  The timing worked out well because I was able to go to dinner with Nick's mom.

Originally, we were going to go to an buffet-style lunch in Daly City, but decided to do a sit down at one of our usual haunts. No complaints here.  I like Empero Taste except for their yucky bathroom.  We go there so frequently that I actually commented to a waitress that she had lost weight. She smiled at that.   We usually order for a pre-fixed menu, but my Uncle decided that we should order straight from the menu.  It turned out really well.  I preferred this to the pre-fixed because we had dishes that I haven't had for a long time or hadn't seen before.

Chicken and spice soup.

Pork belly over lettuce. 


Fried calamari

Clay pot tofu

Sweet and sour pork

Hong Kong style chicken gin mein. 

Fried fish and fried tofu

Three-egg steamed eggs.  They steamed regular chicken eggs with bits of salted duck egg (those bright yellow spots) and thousand-year-old egg (normally gray, but they are chopped finely and are mixed in). 

I don't know what this is actually called, but it is ground pork and salted fish mixed in.  I've never seen this before, but all of my aunts and uncles oohed and ahhed when it came out.  It's a "home cooking" type of dish for sure, but that's the kind of thing that our family likes.  It was really tasty and I need to learn how to make it myself.  

Looks like a bunch of mush, but because it is steamed, the meat is actually quite solid.  




No comments: