Thursday, May 08, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: May 6, 2014

It is no secret that I'm not the grill master in our family, despite my efforts.  Jack of all trades, master of none?  Sometimes things just don't turn out the way you think they will.  Tonight was one of those nights.  It's been a while since we grilled artichokes.  It seems like half the time we forget that they should be parboiled before we grill.  I remembered them taking quite a bit of time to cook in the past, so I left them on the grill for a long while.  Let me tell you.  They were inedible.  Nick tried his best to get a few leaves in, but it just wasn't happening.

On top of that, I usually grill chicken drumsticks or thighs. Remember this fiasco?  I've come a long way since then, but let's just say that old habits die hard.  Nick is generally the one who grills the chicken quarters.  You'd think that they wouldn't be that different.  Oh how wrong you would be.  There is so much more fat on a full chicken quarter and it takes longer to cook right up where the joints meet.  I thought that the fat would essentially melt off.  I was right, but the right kind of wrong.  The fat does melt off, but instead of creating healthy goodness, it creates a fire.  A big fire, which you are then obligated to put out so that you don't burn down your apartment building, which then leads to a giant cloud of black smoke, which then leads to an underlying flavor of deliciously black burntness.

So folks, I am definitely not the grill master in our household. I'll leave those pants for Nick to wear.

It had a lot of potential. 


The chicken didn't actually taste that bad, but you could definitely taste the smokiness.  

You eat with your eyes first, right?

No comments: