Friday, May 09, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: April 8, 2014

Nick called me when I was getting off of work to tell me that he had to go to a business dinner since a vendor was in the office.  Smoozing.  I had been marinating some chicken in the Sichuan sauce that I used a couple of weeks ago.  Now that it’s out in the open, all these weeks of me trying to clean out our freezer and pantry have been to prepare for our move.  So I’ve been trying to use up all of the random condiments and sauces that we have in our fridge.  We’re not moving far and our even our ice cream would make the trip, but it’s just easier to not have to take half used jars of sauces if we don’t have to.

With all of the Mother’s Day dinners and lunches that we have on our schedule, I needed to cook the chicken.  Friday night my brother is coming home from school for Mother’s Day so my Mom decided to grill steaks and Chinese style shrimp.  Then on Saturday night we are taking my Mom to all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ.  Sunday we have lunch in the City with my grandma and then in the evening we have Mother’s Day dinner with my Mother-in-law.  On top of all that, I’m running at 10k with a friend Saturday morning and we are going to another friend’s birthday BBQ Saturday night.  Busy, busy, busy.  Somewhere in there we have to find some time to pack.

Despite many failed attempts at grilling chicken, I wanted to grill so that I didn’t have to do all of the clean up by myself.  I had a large cup of water ready for any flare ups, but I cooked the chicken low and slow enough that it wasn’t a problem.  It took about 40 minutes for me to cook everything up and by the time I was done I didn’t want dinner anymore.  I had ramen instead.   Nick will take the chicken and vegetables for lunch. 

A strange thing happened.  I always check the tops of the corn that I buy, but keep them in the husks.  On one of the two ears that I got this week a critter of some sort had gotten to the corn about an inch down.  There were no marks from the outside on the husk and the tip of the corn was completely in tact, but the kernels were eaten almost all the way around.  I'm going to start husking my corn at the store like I see other people doing.  I like to leave the husks on just in case we decide to grill with the husks, but we rarely do that anyway.

No comments: