Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: May 13, 2014



Tonight is the last post of grilling for us.  For a little while at least.  This is a back logged post that I have been meaning to write.  It’s been getting really hectic around here.  Nick and I officially started packing over the weekend and the night I actually made this dinner, I was a blob on the sofa catching up on my recorded shows and relaxing before the eminent mayhem begun.   As I write this, Nick had to dig out two forks from the bottom of a box and we will be eating take out until our move unless we go to our parents’ house, which is a strong possibility. I have some food in our fridge to make, but realized that our pots, pans, cooking utensils, knives and silverware are all packed away.  So even though we have food, we have nothing to cook it with. Our kitchen is entirely packed.  You’ll be seeing a lot of take-out posts (if I have time and energy).

I had gotten some Country Style Pork pieces that I had thought were boneless pork short ribs.  I had forgotten what I bought.  Not only were they not short ribs, they had bones.  Completely wrong.  Good thing Nick doesn’t mind in the slightest.  I marinated the pork the same way that I would have done the short ribs anyway and they turned out deliciously. The marinade was pretty standard.  I like my marinades to be a little thick so that the spices cling to the meat, but you can always add more water if you want a liquidy marinade.


Pork Marinade
1 c soy sauce
3 tbsp garlic powder
4 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp garlic hotsauce
½ c water


I’m still obsessed with grilled romaine and can eat a whole head of it by myself.  I’d be happy as a clam to just eat grilled romaine every night for the rest of the summer.  I tried something new with the squash and shallots.  I made a foil packet to steam them in with a little bit of EVOO, salt, and pepper.  They generally didn’t have much flavor, but they were well cooked and there wasn’t any clean up after.   One of the main reasons I grill is so that we have very little clean up afterwards. 




Nick likes dressing with his romaine so he made some with pepperchinis, ketchup, mayo, and dijon mustard. It was basically a spicy Thousand Island.

No comments: