Friday, March 11, 2011

I'm Alive...Literally

I've been suffering from a terrible stomach virus.  I WebMD'ed myself and I think it's shellfish poisoning.  My doctor agrees. This weekend while my family was in Monterey, Nick and I went to one of our normal haunts in Carmel and had oysters.  I must have gotten a bad one or something because by Tuesday I was not feeling well at all.  Besides a nasty head cold, Nick is fine.  I've been off work until today, but am still feeling mighty shabby.  Yesterday was the worst day of all.  On Wednesday I was feeling much better so I decided to have dinner with my family.  We had a bouillabaisse, which is basically fish soup.  My mom and brother had to prepare it since I was still feeling worn.  (I had bought all the ingredients on Monday when I was still feeling normal and we didn't want all that expensive fish to go to waste.) My mom followed the directions to a T and was even setting the timer for how long all the seafood should have been in the pot for before serving, but some of the clams didn't open up.  We didn't eat the ones that weren't open, but I think because my stomach was sensitive from the oysters I had on Sunday that I ended up paying the price the next day because once again, no one else got sick except for me.  I was vomiting and on the toilet starting at 5am and it didn't stop until 11am.  My mom wanted to take me to the ER since it wouldn't stop and the abdominal cramping was so severe, but I was able to pull through and it finally subsided after I managed to keep some Tylenol down.  The Pepto-Bismol I had taken around 5:30 came right back up.  My doctor prescribed some anti-nausea medication and I've been taking Tylenol at any signs of stomach pain.   Thank goodness he could prescribe that over the phone because I wouldn't have been able to make it to his office.  I'm still feeling tired and weak even though I got 12 hours of sleep last night, but today is the first day that I've been able to really stomach any fluids, though with each sip of water my stomach still cramps up.  I had some noodles last night, which went over well, so hopefully I'm on the road to recovery.

On the positive side, I've acquired a fair amount of pudge from all the cooking and eating out we do.  It's disappearing with a quickness now!

1 comment:

The Bowers! said...

Do you think you might have developed a sensitivity to shellfish? I've heard of people eating shellfish regularly and then out of the blue they are suddenly allergic, with symptoms you describe. It seems weird that you were getting better and then you ate a clam and it came back. I hope you're 100% better now!!