Friday, March 07, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: March 6, 2014



Nick was getting ready for a weekend business trip and my Mom was watching Emmy for us after her vet visit so we decided to go to one of our favorite spots for a date night.  Boy was it crowded for a Thursday night.  We’ve gone to Postino many times before on a week night and it has never been so crowded.  We think that there was some sort of party going on.  The kitchen is an open format so we could see the chef.  He looked a little frantic even though we got our food in a very timely manner, though now that I think about it, I was missing my mashed potatoes.  I suspect that his blood pressure was spiking and through the roof.

I made the mistake of going to the Round Table pizza lunch buffet with a coworker midday.  By the time our 6:45pm reservation rolled around, I was still pretty full.  We normally order their buratta dish as a starter, which is one of my favorites, but I was still full enough that I didn’t want to spoil my appetite further by eating a lot of cheese.   We ordered the Carpaccio instead since it is less filling, but very tasty.   The Carpaccio was very lightly seared on the edges and came with tiny deviled quail eggs.  I was pretty impressed by the deviled eggs as they were very small and perfectly peeled.  The deviled filling, however, was a little heavy on the Dijon mustard flavor for my liking. The shaved hard cow’s milk cheese was fantastic.


Tiniest deviled egg I've seen.
For our entrees, Nick ordered the shrimp fettuccini and I tried out the fried chicken.  Nick pointed out that they forgotten to put the mashed potatoes on my plate.  Normally, I’d be upset about it, but since I probably wouldn’t eat much of it anyway, I didn’t bother flagging the waiter down.   I did have a problem with the chicken though.   I thought that the chicken breast had a strange flavor.  Nick theorized that it could have been the flavor of the brine, but the drumstick didn’t taste like the breast.  I said that it had a flavor as if the chicken wasn’t fresh and sitting in the fridge for too long, but I can’t imagine that is the case especially because it was so busy and there were a lot of people ordering the chicken dish.  I don’t know what it was, but I didn’t care for it.  If you’ve ever left chicken in the fridge past it’s expiration date, you’ll know the smell.  The chicken tasted like that skunky scent.  I should have ordered the lasagna because I know from past experience that it is delicious, but I was too full of pizza to have another tomato sauce based dish.  Needless to say, I didn’t enjoy my dinner as much as I thought I would.  


 

Note:  The pictures are low quality because of the dim light in the restaurant and I didn't want to be that girl who uses their flash in a dim resturant.

No comments: