Monday, December 16, 2013

Today's Lunch: December 14. 2013

Today was a glorious lunch day.  After taking Emmy for her physical at the vet and dropping by a friend's house, I finally had time to try out Patty's Original Cheese Zombies.  I had first laid eyes on this restaurant a few months ago when it still had brown paper on the windows.  I was staring so hard at the sign that I almost ran over a small island in the parking lot.  I couldn't believe my eyes.

I'm surprised that there isn't a Wikipedia article on Cheese Zombies, but I will do my best to describe these delicious balls of happiness.  A classic Cheese Zombie is a small bun about the size of a hamburger that is filled with American cheese.  It is baked so that the buttery bread is soft and the cheese becomes a gooey hunk of cheesiness.  It is similar to a grilled cheese sandwich, but completely different at the same time.  I have no idea why it's called a zombie, but I don't care.  Cheese and bread is always good to me.  You can call it whatever you want.

Growing up in our area, all of the middle and high schools sold these during brunch and lunch breaks for a dollar.  When my brother was in school and I would come home from college I would ask him to bring me home a zombie.  He never did because he said it would get squashed in his backpack.  I offered to wait outside of the school for him to get me one, but then it might look like a shady drug transaction.  These things are kind of like food-crack.  Needless to say, I never got my zombie.  You can only imagine how happy I was to see that this store was opening.  Not only do they have the wonderous original cheese, they have a multitude of new zombie ideas.  I was so excited about them that I bought five different kinds.  From the menu that someone posted on their Yelp site, it looks like they change their ingredients depending on what they have.  I love it.

I posted this picture on my Instagram page, which spurred a couple of friends
to check out the restaurant on their way to the shooting range.  I am seriously
going to be spreading the word about this place. It brings back great memories
and amped up an old classic.  I got a classic, ham-jalapeno-cheese, pizza, hot link,
 and a sausage and cheese.

The classic. 

Sausage and cheese zombie.

The pizza cheese zombie.

Inside the pizza zombie.

No comments: