Monday, June 16, 2008

More food!

Hello everyone! I have more food pictures and recipes. Just so you know, the reason why I put all of these pictures and recipes up is because I figured if I can do it, then you guys can do it! I had told my Uncle David and our friend Tim that I would give them a list of recipes, but I still haven't typed a list yet. I half about half of a crock pot recipe list, but I keep forgetting to finish it. So, as if to make up for my lack of crock pot list, I've been posting easy and healthy recipes on this blog for them to try (as well as everyone else).



Shrimp skewers with Creole seasoning
Servings:2
Time: 20min

Ingredients:

6 prepared shrimp skewers
1 tbsp creole seasoning

1 bunch spinach
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp crushed red pepper

1/2 head romaine lettuce
2 mushrooms
1 can black olives
1/2 c vinaigrette

Directions:
You can cook the shrimp on low-medium on the grill, but it was raining so I did it under the broiler. Sprinkle shrimp with creole seasoning on both sides. Place on a baking sheet and under the broiler; on the lower rack. Cook shrimp 2 minutes a side under broiler. While shrimp are cooking, stir fry the spinach with chili powder and crushed red pepper. Be careful, this is very spicy. Cook until barley wilted. Take off of the heat immediately. The heat from you wok/pan will continue to cook as you take the shrimp out of the oven. The stir fry should take no longer than 3 minutes. You don't want to have totally "dead" spinach.

For the salad I just used the left over vinaigrette and assembled the salad like any other salad.

I was able to make this whole dish in less than or equal to 20 minutes. Ed had come home from the office and went to take a shower. I was done pretty much as he sat down to cuddle with Emmy. It's very fast and since I got the shrimp on sale ($1/skewer) it was pretty inexpensive.



For Edward's 2nd father's day, I made him fish. It's his favorite. As I'm sure you all know, I really wanted to try Emeril's recipe. Well since I can never follow recipes to the T I have to say that this dinner was no exception. So this is an Emeril inspired dinner.




Sesame Oil Haddock with sauteed veggies and couscous

Servings: 2
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min

Ingredients:
2 Haddock fillets, cut to fit pan
1 tsp kosher salt, per side
1 tsp ground black pepper, per side
1 tsp sesame oil

1/2 c chicken broth
1 c couscous

1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 green bell pepper, julienned
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp EVOO

Directions:
Cut the two fillets to fit your pan. Sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of the fish, rub in slightly. Pour a very small amount of sesame oil on one side of each fish. Rub in and then flip. Use excess oil from the cutting board for the other side of the fish. In a hot pan, drop in two fillets at a time. Drop heat to medium. Once one side of the fish is completely white, flip fish. When the fish is completely white and flaky, take fish off heat.

While the fish is cooking, bring chicken broth to a boil, remove from heat and add couscous. Fluff with a fork and cover.

Add EVOO to a separate sauce pan until hot, add red and green bell pepper. Toss until slightly see through. Add salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Do not let the peppers become wilted. You want the peppers to be cooked, but still very crunchy. Mushy peppers with already mushy couscous and fish won't add any umf to the dish.


Our lucky little girl had a very good day yesterday. After we got up, we took her to the dog park. She hadn't been there in over 2 weeks! She played very hard with her new fur-cut even though it was still pretty hot. After that, Edward took me out to dim sum! A friend of mine had told me about this place a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't as good as SF dim sum, but we enjoyed it. It was pretty good for being in our area. I was sleepy after that so I took a nap. Around 4pm I went to the grocery store. I like going to the store earlier now because there is a better selection so I guess I'll have to keep going around noon like I have been. I was feeling generous so I got Emmy a couple of marrow bones. The last set we got her went to waste because she didn't chew them fast enough. I think she is getting the hang of them though and they will help her keep her teeth clean. I also was able to get a whole bunch of chicken for basically nothing. I had to stock up. I got 18 chicken drumsticks for only $3! Price Chopper was having a fantastic sale on their chicken for $0.58 a pound. That's amazing!!! I got a whole family-sized pack of chicken thighs also for only $2.50. Edward laughed at me because I ran into the TV room where he was playing video games saying "I got 18 drumsticks for only $3.18! It's like I got them free!" He looked at me like I was crazy. Yes, yes, I realize that "only $3.18" followed by "free" doesn't really make sense, but the chicken was so cheap it was a steal and I was trying to express how good of a deal it was.

Next week we're going to have all of the stuff in our freezer. I hope I have enough chicken recipes so that we don't get bored! I took the time to deskin and trim all of the chicken thighs. I also cut up three pieces so that I can use them for our quesadillas at the end of the week. Emmy got the nice meaty bones and she was thanking me for them after. She loves chicken.







Oh my gosh. Julie sent me one of those flat-rate boxes full of spices and food. I could smell all of the yummy spices when I picked up the box. Mmmmm... Emmy kept smelling it too. Thank you Julie!

No comments: