Sunday, June 01, 2008

Swordfish with Balsamic Glaze

Today I went grocery shopping and got two good sized swordfish steaks. I mixed up some of the balsamic glaze that I found in my Good House Keeping Cookbook. It was quihttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifte tangy...a little too tangy if you ask me. So I added about 3/4 cup of honey. I left out the shallots, which might be my tangy problem.





Here is the Balsamic Glaze recipe that is inspired by the GHK cookbook:

Balsamic Glaze and swordfish

Ingredients:

2 tsps olive oil
1/4 c finely chopped shallots
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp tomato paste

1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

2 Swordfish steaks

Directions:

In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar and brown sugar; heat to boiling over high heat. Boil until liquid has thickened and is syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomato paste until blended.

The recipe says to "Sprinkle thyme, salt, and pepper on swordfish," but I put the thyme, salt, and pepper in the glaze...also adding the honey. Then I put the glaze on the fish with some EVOO. Just for kicks, I sprinkled dried rosemary on each side of the fish. I put the fish on the grill for about 7 minutes total.

Grilled Pineapple:

...cut pineapple and put on grill. Hehe. I left those on until they were slightly opaque.


For the cheesy break I used big buns and piled on the cheddar cheese with some basil. As you can see I kind of burnt them under the broiler. Woops. They still tasted great.


I tried to follow my list while grocery shopping and did pretty well with sticking to the sales. I did seem to save more money, but the thing with sales is that you feel like you need to stock up on supplies when they're cheap! I noticed that Price Chopper was having a sale on all of their store brand canned tomato products. Since I used LOTS of canned tomato I had to stock my cabinets. So that was about $10 right there. Other wise I only bought 3 BBQ sauces and 3 salad dressings (for the rest of my stocking up). All in all, sale shopping is good, but I stick to my list more when I have a set menu.




After dinner Edward was wondering what he should do with his time since I was claiming the TV from 8-11pm. It was a little to late for him to go back to the office and we already went on a bike ride together earlier. That's right, WE went on a bike ride. It was about 5 miles and I felt like I was going to die. Anyways, I suggested that he clear out the back yard for me in case I want to build a planter. Right now my budget is a little tight, but I might get there midsummer. He spread all of the sand under the dilapidated tarp on the grass and Emmy's pooping area. Hopefully the grass can come through. I think it will. By the time he finished it was getting pretty dark outside so I didn't get to take picture of his handy work. I'll have to do that tomorrow.

No comments: