Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pastrami-Spiced Round Eye Steak and early morning blues


For all of you faithful blog readers, you probably noticed that I'm posting a little later in the day than usual. This is because I had to go to an activity training for summer camp. Three long hours of playing games is not as cool as it sounds. I was taking my coworker since he doesn't have a car so I had to make sure that I didn't over sleep and miss the training. The training was at 9am, the location 20 min away, the scheduled friend pickup was at 8 20am, and my coffee pot takes about 30 min to brew half a pot (it likes to take it's sweet time). My first alarm went off at 7 15am and I got up shortly after that. I didn't want to fall back to sleep and miss picking up my friend. I don't understand why people wake up so early. There is nothing on tv to watch with my coffee and I was exhausted the rest of the day. I have a feeling that summer camp isn't going to be very pleasant. 40 whiny teenagers from 8 30am-4pm. Yikes. After the training Edward and I had lunch at one of our favorite diners, Manory's, and then I promptly fell asleep with Emmy under my/her blue blanky. When I woke up an hour and a half later I didn't feel like I had taken a nap at all. It was awful. So with my limbs feeling like dead branches, I finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird. It was very good by the way. I think that I'm going to read The Host next by Stephanie Meyer (the author of Twilight) so that I can write a review for the Book House owner.

I'm feeling much better now that I have energy back in my body. I took Emmy to the football field in the middle of RPI's campus to play frisbee. Edward met us there and then came home with us. We like that field because it has a fence all the way around so that if a bike happens to go by she can't get to it. It only took her the short walk back to our house before she was ready to play again.




Last night we had Pastrami-Style Round Eye Steak. I actually followed the recipe, but we only gave it a B. Edward said that it didn't really have that kick that my food usually has. Probably because I didn't add my own touch! Again, this is from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook (295).

Pastrami-Spiced Round Eye Steak
Servings: 4
Prep time: 15 min plus marinating
Grill time: 13 min

Ingredients:
1.5lb round eye steak
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press (I grated mine with a microplane)

Directions:
Combine coriander, paprika, black pepper, ginger, salt, sugar, and red pepper. Grate garlic and spread over beef. Rub seasoning all over the surface of the meat. Let marinate for 2-24 hours in a ziplock bag. (I didn't) For grilling I like to let my meat come to room temperature because it seems to cook a little more evenly. Grill on medium for 13 minutes, turning halfway through time. Let meat rest for 10-15 min before slicing (this lets the juice go back into the meat).

No comments: