Monday, June 30, 2008

Bacon wrapped scallops and Apple turnovers


These were both experiments. For less than $15 I was able to make two large plates of pasta and seafood. Pretty good, huh?

Bacon Wrapped Scallops

Servings: 2-4
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min

Ingredients:
1 pack hickory bacon
1 pack frozen sea scallops; defrosted (you can get these from you fish monger)
Pepper to taste

handful of toothpicks

Directions:
Slice bacon in half vertically (hamburger style opposed to hot dog kids). Take a defrosted scallop and wrap a piece of bacon around it. Push a toothpick through the two ends of bacon and then another going the opposite way so that the toothpicks form an X shape. Sprinkle ground black pepper over both sides of scallops and bacon. Put wrapped scallops on a baking sheet and under a preheated broiler on the lower rack. This is to help crisp up the bacon. Broil for 3 minutes on each side. Once semi-cooked under broiler, put in a medium-high heat frying pan (no oil). Sear on each side for about 5 minutes. You don't want the scallops to be tough and over cooked. If you poke them and they are getting firm take them off.


I paired this with Allison's Red Bell Pepper Sauce macaroni. It worked out pretty well.





This weekend I also made apple turnovers. I bought puff pastry from the grocery store because I was too lazy to wait all day for the pastry to do it's thing. I got the stuffing recipe from How to Cook Everything. I've been craving apple turnovers for over a week now. My mom used to make us the Pepperidge Farm frozen turnovers. I always loved them and they were such a nice treat. The ones I made tasted just like them (maybe because I bought Pepperidge Farm puff pastry). They were much more work than the frozen ones. I thought that I would never get all of the sugar and juice off of my counter. They were good, but they weren't that good. I think I'll be buying the frozen ones from now on. Although I got 8 turnovers compared to buying 2 at a time, I don't really feel like grating all of those apples again.




Our lucky girl with her weekly marrow bone.




On Friday Ed and I actually went out! A friend of mine was having a party that turned out to be her and two other people, but we had a lot of fun. I can't remember the last time that Edward was actually tipsy. It was great fun and nice to hang out with non computer science people (no offense guys).

No comments: