Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tonight's Dinner: January 16, 2014

My nice training run yesterday had me hobbling around like an old lady.  I’ve noticed that when it is below 60 degrees my joints really hurt when I run.  It’s a good thing I’m not in New York anymore.  It’s not like they hurt just for a few hours, but for days.  So tonight I used it as my excuse to have a rest day in the middle of the week.  I took Emmy for a walk which helped with mobility quite a bit.  When we got back, Nick and his Dad were already in the apartment.  Since my Mother-in-law is on vacation with my aunt we’ve been having my Father-in-law over for dinner so that he doesn’t have to eat alone or get lonely.  Being retired must be hard…  I’m not even 30 yet and I can’t wait for the day that I have a retirement party.


I had actually planned out our menu this week.  Usually, I just buy a protein and a vegetable and go from there, but this week I had a set plan since last week’s premarinating didn’t work out so well for me.  One day I will find a happy medium.  Tonight I had planned to make clam chowder.  I’ve always had my Mom’s or one of my Aunt’s (they use the same recipe) but have never made it myself.  The recipe that I used was from allrecipes.com.  It turned out really well.  I think it got a little thick at the end, but that can easily be remedied when we go to have left overs.   I don’t know why, but when I tasted the soup I was surprised that it tasted like clam chowder.  Now that I know what goes into clam chowder, I will be less likely to order it in a restaurant.  There is so much butter and cream but boy, did it taste good. 

This a whole pot of cream, butter, and flour. 

The directions instructed to cook the veggies seperately
from the cream.

After adding them together I've never seen this pot so full.

I baked my bacon on a cooling rack in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400
degrees. Once I took them out I blotted the top so that any excess fat didn't
soak back in once they cooled.  I chopped them up and served them on the
side.  This is pretty healthy where bacon is concerned.

No comments: