Sunday, June 23, 2013

Chia Seeds

Chia seeds are surprisingly good!  They pretty much have no flavor but are packed with tons of vitamins and minerals.  On top of that, they have a ton of fiber so they are supposed to help keep you full.  I was really worried about the texture since the look really slimy and like little bugs in your water, but they aren't bad at all.  They have the texture of a tomato seed.  If you don't like tomato seeds, I'd stay away.  When I drink them in coconut water or my green juice I don't even notice them because they are so slippery that I just drink them down. They are a really simple and inexpensive way to get vitamins and minerals.  I introduced them to a couple of my coworkers and one of them said that they give her a ton of energy.  She likes to sip them straight from the container, but I prefer to put mine in my juice or yogurt.

When you buy the seeds they look like little sesame seeds, but after you add water the explode into something that you can eat.  I read that you should always soak the seeds first as they will expand in your stomach if you don't, which could potentially cause stomach aches or cramps.  So far my coworkers and I haven't seen any negative side effects.  Our main worry is that we enjoy them so much that we would OD on them, but from the reading that I did, it doesn't look like you can really OD on them unless you're eating a whole jar or something.  We're limiting ourselves to a teaspoon or two of seeds a day.  The benefits are great!


 photo null_zps6c2ee8cb.jpg
The first day I tried them in coconut water. 

 photo null_zps51a01f75.jpg
I also tried them in Greek yogurt.

No comments: