Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Tonight's Dinner: January 7, 2013

Since the holidays, I've been feeling very tired and lazy.  My Mom calls it the after holiday blues.  This is the first time I've actually done any creative cooking since New Years Eve.  It's about time.  I hadn't been regular grocery shopping in weeks, that is, non-holiday food shopping.  It was nice not buying everything in bulk.  With the gloomy weather that we've been having I will probably be making a lot of comfort foods.

I had a sheet of puff pastry left over from NYE that I wanted to use up.  After work I headed to Sprouts and got a couple pieces of salmon.  I already had a whole package of dill in the fridge for the one teaspoon that I needed for the Smoked Salmon Spread.  I hate when I have to buy a whole pack just for a pinch or two of a product that I rarely use.  So fish seemed like the best idea.  Now I just need to make more chicken to use up all the tarragon that I bought.

Naturally, I figured I'd make puff pastry wrapped salmon and add in as much dill as possible without it ruining the whole meal.  That was the first idea I had when I thought of puff pastry and dinner.  I tried using a Puff Pastry Salmon recipe from Allrecipes, but totally forgot to add the spinach in. It turned out pretty well despite the forgotten spinach, and my wraps were so stuffed that I don't know if I would have been able to close them up with spinach in it.  It turned out pretty well.  I thought the salmon was cooked properly and not dry at all, but Nick thought it was a little over.  He likes his salmon a little under though.  Even though I made it, I was disappointed that there was salmon inside.  I don't like fish much and salmon is the worst for me, but I didn't think it would be good with a bland white fish.  I would have much preferred it to be a packet of meat.  Possibly a nice juicy steak. I also made my anchovy broccoli to go with it.  I probably ate half the pot of broccoli myself.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

No comments: