Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tonight's Dinner: January 8, 2013

I've been feeling pretty glum the last few days.  It's a combination of the weather and girly issues.  This is how I know that Nick loves me.  On his way home from work, he stopped by 7-11 and picked me up a "surprise".  Emmy and I were coming back from our run when he was pulling into the parking lot.  There in the brown grocery bag were two giant Foster's beers.  He knows the way to my heart.  Most men would buy their ladies flowers and chocolate.  Nick knows me better than that.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
This is love.
While having my surprise beers, I made a comfort food dish that my Mom makes for us.  When she makes it we come flocking to the table like starved children.  Generally, the recipe calls for pork spear ribs, but she said that she switched to using boneless meat because my brother is too lazy to eat it bone in.  I like it boneless too because I can shovel it in faster.  This was my first time making it and thankfully it came out like hers. 

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Pork and bell pepper in black bean sauce.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Because it's been so foggy and gloomy, I made some
brownies to make the apartment warmer.  
Mom's Black-Bean Spear Ribs 
1lb boneless pork shoulder; cubed
2 green bell peppers; cubed
2 tbsp black bean sauce
2 c water
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tsp corn starch 
Directions:
Over medium-high heat, brown the pork shoulder with black bean sauce. Once browned, cover with water. Bring to a boil then let simmer until pork is soft.  Once pork is soft, in a separate bowl, use some of the cooking liquid to mix the corn starch.  When all lumps are out, pour corn starch liquid into the pot to make gravy. Add green bell pepper and oyster sauce.  Let cook until bell peppers are soft and the sauce has thickened up.  Server over white rice. 

No comments: