Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Chin Brewery: Tasting

It has finally become the time when we can actually drink our beer.  All-in-all it wasn't bad for our first try.  It lacked body and had a bitter aftertaste to it, but it wasn't unbearable.  I guess I would describe it as characterless.  In the writing world it would be considered a flat character.  Just your everyday Joe-blow who no one cares about or gives a second thought to.  I should have known that when my mom said "It's good!  It tastes like Michelob!"  I am a little disappointed, but I was always good at chemistry, so I think that the next batch will be better.  It actually isn't that bad when you have it with some nuts.  But to stand alone, I don't know if it has enough oompf for my tastes.  The aftertaste is too bitter for how subtle the flavor of the beer is.  I would understand the bitterness if it was a Pale Ale, but this was supposed to be a Heffinwizen which are more commonly rich and have more viscosity in your mouth.  Chin Brew Take One had the lightness of a Coors.  We will finish this up and have to try again sometime soon.  This time I will find a real recipe.  We were just winging this batch because the instructions we were following told us to get malt and hops, but not any specific type.  If we follow a recipe and are told what specific types of ingredients we should use I think it will turn out with more flavor.  Since we only made a half batch this time we still have yeast and hops left over.  I'm going to try to find a recipe that uses these two types that we have and then try again.  For the most part I think I can make it on my own if no one is home, though I would need to wait to pour it into the container as I need someone to hold the funnel.  Now I just need to find time to do it since the boiling process takes a few hours.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: