Friday, October 12, 2012

Tonight's Dinner: October 8, 2012

On weekends when I'm too busy to go grocery shopping, I'm forced to go on Mondays or figure out something from our freezer.  My original menu and plan was to go Costco to get toilet paper and Frontline for Emmy and then to Ranch 99 for all of my proteins and veggies.  Being that it was a Monday, I'm sure everyone feels the same on Mondays, I didn't want to drive all over the place after work.  So I reformulated my menu to Costco-sized proportions.  Luckily, I was able to buy pork sirloin that came in four individual packets.  My freezer is completely full right now so we were forced to eat pork all week.  That being said, maybe next week we'll eat out of the freezer.

After unpacking all of our groceries, I got started on a rub for our first piece of pork.  The directions on the packet said to cook the meat at 325 degrees for an hour and forty minutes.  That is a low temp for a very long time.  I did as they said...for the most part.  After about an hour I took the pork out just because it looked like it was getting too done.  As it turns out, I was right.  It was pretty done, but not to the point where it was overly chewy.  Thank goodness.  Overcooked pork, like over cooked chicken breast, is almost inedible in my opinion.

Photobucket

Photobucket
I was interested in these pumpkin-ricotta purse pastas that Costco had as a
seasonal selection.  The color drew me in.  At work the girls and I had been talking
about how delicious combining butter and EVOO is, so I had to do it even though
I tell Nick not to.  I threw in some sliced garlic to the butter-EVOO mixture and tossed
in my pre-cooked pasta. 
Photobucket
Garlic green beans are one of my favorite things.  I cooked the whole Costco-
sized bag and at 3/4 of it by myself.  
Easy Pork Rub 
3 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp dried flakes
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp white pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes 
Directions:
Mix ingredients together.  Drizzle EVOO over pork (or whatever protein you are using).  Liberally sprinkle rub over pork and pat in.  You want it to form a crust.  

No comments: