Monday, October 01, 2012

Tonight's Dinner: September 28, 2012

We've all been jonesin' for some good chicken rice since we got back from Malaysia.  I decided to try my hand at the meal, though I had heard that it is labor intensive. We invited Dennis back over and Melissa after she got off of work.  Once it's perfected, I'll test it out on Mr. and Mrs. Fong to see what they think.

I found a recipe online that had great reviews about it being very traditional and like something you'd have in Singapore.  The chicken turned out marvelously, but the rice tasted nothing like what we had at Tian Tian.  The chicken was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.  First you have to scrub the chicken down with kosher salt to get all the impurities and excess skin off.  Then all you have to do is stuff the insides with ginger and green onions with a lot of salt.  Cover in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Once it's at a boil lower to simmer and cook for half an hour.  It wasn't difficult at all.  The rice definitely needs practice.  It just tasted like rice cooked in chicken stock.  I will have to keep trying.  I have plenty of chicken stock now (I save the stock from the whole chicken) to keep trying it out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
I grabbed the biggest chicken I could find at Safeway and we barely had any
left.

Photobucket
Chili sauce and traditional green onion-ginger sauce.

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: